During a non-production dry run implementation of BizTalk 2009 yesterday, we ran into the following error when an application that uses the SAP Adapter (.Net Connector Version) received an IDoc.
Note: this post is strictly related to the .Net Connector version of the SAP adapter and NOT the WCF based LOB Adapter. We have some applications that we have not migrated to the new adapter. It is on our "to do" list, but our upgrade scope is primarily a "like for like" upgrade.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: BizTalk Adapter v2.0 for mySAP Business Suite
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Time: 4:23:28 PM
Error in Check Transaction: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
The first clue that something was wrong was that SAP did not show up in the configured list of Adapters. We were able to add it by right clicking on "Adapters" - "New" - "Adapters" before we turned on the application but that should have been our first indication that something wasn't quite right. We then checked for the existance of the following Stored Procedures that are added to the MessageBox database when you install the SAP Adapter:
These stored procs were not installed which prompted us to re-install the adapter. We also ensured to use the /console command when launching the Remote Desktop Connection tool. Upon removing the old adapter via control panel(repair didn't work) and re-installing the adapter we now had "SAP" showing up in the adapter list and the stored procedures were successfully added to the MessageBox Db. At this point we were able to successfully receive an IDoc from SAP.